RULES & REGULATIONS, 1 MONTH
The steps described below will be valid if the Sierre-Zinal 2021 race project moves to a 1-month race format. Signing up for Sierre-Zinal 2021 Free-Form Version implies immediate and unconditional acceptance of the regulations detailed below.
Sierre-Zinal 2021 Free-Form race is an opportunity to do a timed run on the Sierre-Zinal course over a one-month window. You will run independently. Only one aid station will be provided. Between Monday August 17 and Friday September 18, the Sierre-Zinal staff will greet you at the race start and finish.
Please note that each entrant will be responsible for:
monitoring their effort and physical condition
organizing their ride back down in the event of withdrawal or accident
paying all costs incurred
Race participants shall be aware that the 31km involving a 2200 m elevation gain and a 1100 m downhill gradient is difficult and physically demanding. They shall check the weather conditions and the race website as of 8:00 pm the night before they are due to run.
Sierre-Zinal cannot bear responsibility in case of accident.
1) WHO CAN ENTER ?
All registrants who secured a Sierre-Zinal 2021 entry, either in the Runner or Tourist category, or a Chandolin-Zinal 2021 entry (Juniors) are eligible to sign up for the Free-Form Version of the race over one month. Regular Sierre-Zinal 2021 registrations are now closed.
2) HOW CAN I ENTER SIERRE ZINAL FREE-FORM RACE?
All registrants who secured a Sierre-Zinal 2020 entry will receive an e-mail asking to confirm their wish to take part in the Free-Form Race. Confirmation deadline is July 30.
3) IS THERE A FEE TO ENTER THE FREE-FORM RACE?
A partial refund of the registration fee (85.-) will be given to all participants. A change in the race format cannot be a valid way to obtain a refund of the registration fee.
4) WHAT DOES MY REGISTRATION TO THE FREE-FORM RACE INCLUDE?
- An official, albeit unregistered, race time for the completion of the Sierre-Zinal course. Participants in the “Runner” category will be ranked. No appeal is possible. No prize money will be given.
- An intermediate time at Chandolin.
- One official Aid Station and Checkpoint at Chandolin
- A 48th edition official diploma if the runner completes the race.
- A bespoke 48th edition medal if the runner completes the race.
- The opportunity to be part of the Sierre-Zinal legend.
5) WHAT ARE RUNNERS EXPECTED TO DO?
- Make sure you are running with a fully charged phone.
- Download the « echoSOS » app. And in case of emergency call 144 via the application.
- Checkthe race website as of 8:00 pm on the eve of your run.
- Purchase a personal accident insurance.
- Leave early (the race starts between 6:00 and 8:00 am).
- The Juniors’ race starts between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm from Chandolin.
- Runners under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult including those taking part in the Junior’s race.
- Send a text to 00 41 79 710 96 09 in case of withdrawal, that explicitly says« WITHDRAWAL » along with your bib number, name and surname.
- Reach Chandolin no later than 12:30 pm. or else you cannot be ranked.
- Check and study the course. Beauregard can only be accessed via the St Antoine Chapel . The course is maintained and marked by Anniviers municipality services.
- Leave only footprints, take all your trash with you, and keep the course in its pristine state.
6) WHAT ARE RUNNERS ADVISED TO DO?
- Check the weather conditions.
- Avoid running if a storm or heat wave are predicted.
- Make sure you have enough food and beverages (Eat and drink at regular intervals).
- Take extra clothing such as jacket, hat, gloves as well as a life blanket.
7) WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IF I DROP OUT AND DO NOT REACH ZINAL?
You are formally required to send a text to 00 41 79 710 96 09 explicitly saying « WITHDRAWAL » along with your bib number, name and surname.
Should you decide to stop at Chandolin or Tignousa, you can take advantage of public transports to get back (Post bus Time Table) or of Taxi Anniviers (call 079 628 61 11). The Tignousa and Weisshorn Hotel restaurants are open for shelter.
8) WHEN WILL THE COURSE BE AVAILABE FOR THE FREE-FORM RACE?
The timed runs are open from Wednesday 4 August to Sunday 12 September 2021. In case of extreme or hazardous conditions, the local security manager may decide to close the course. Course closures will be posted on the race website. Runners are expected to check the race website as of 8:00 pm on the eve of their run.
Please note that the course is closed on Mondays and Tesdays.
9) WHAT ARE THE DEPARTURE TIMES ?
The start area will be operational from 6:00 am to 8:00 am. No one will be allowed to start after 8:00 am. The start race clock will be deactivated every day at 8:00. The finish race clock will be deactivated every day at 5:00 pm. The race Security Manager will call runners on their cell phone if they haven’t made it to Zinal by 5 pm. In case there is no answer, a rescue party will be dispatched to search for them along the course. The costs incurred will be charged to the runner.
10) WHAT ABOUT CHANGING CLOTHES AND RETRIEVING DIPLOMAS AND MEDALS?
The Zinal Race Office will be open from 10:00 am to 17:00 pm (until the arrival of the last runner, maximum 17h00). Signs posted at the finish line at Zinal will tell you where to go. A changing room will be available in the building next to the BAR- E-VOX across from the Tourist Office. Medals cannot be mailed. A shower system can be provided.
11) WHERE CAN WE PARK ?
Participants need to find their own parking space. See the map here.
12) HOW CAN WE GET BACK TO SIERRE ?
With your Sierre-Zinal bib you can buy a half-price ticket on the regular post bus to Sierre. Booking is advised at to secure a seat at rush hour. Parties of 10 or more will not be allowed on the bus without prior booking. The Bus timetable is available online.
13) WHAT ARE THE COVID 19 RESTRICTIONS?
Runners are expected to abide by the Federal Office of Public Health’s rules.
14) WHAT ARE THE BIB TRANSFER POLICIES?
The Sierre-Zinal policies allow you to transfer your bib number. Bib transfers must be requested by the initial number holder who will provide the necessary information. Bib transfer requests must be submitted via the website until July 23.
A bib transfer fee is CHF 10.-. No switches are possible between the “Tourist” and “Runner” categories.